Skip to content
Bringing Basquiat Back To Brooklyn is a series of charity events and fundraisers for non-profit organization Brooklyn Renaissance Group and its future permanent art installation, The Great Wall of Brooklyn.
Jean-Michel Basquait is Brooklyn’s most celebrated and influential visual artist, yet for all his fame and notoriety around the world, most Brooklynites have never seen his artwork up close and in person. With the exception of the 2 shows from the Brooklyn Museum in the last 20 years, there hasn’t been a significant public exhibition of his works in any of Brooklyn’s art institutions, galleries, or museums.
It wasn’t until 2016, when the founders of The Bishop Gallery, Erwin John and Stevenson Dunn Jr., publicly exhibited “Neptune’s Place: Early Works of Jean-Michel Basquiat” – a collection of Basquiat works which had not been previously shown anywhere – that Brooklynites had a chance to view Basquiat in the borough that birthed an artistic genius. The gallery owners worked with the community to ensure the work was widely accessible to area youth, women overcoming drug abuse, the mentally disabled, and, of course, local emerging artists.
Despite this, the Sunset Park native has been reduced in Brooklyn to mere imitations and flattery. Dunn and John seek to make Brooklyn home to Basquiat once more by not only producing exhibitions locally with the artist’s works, but by collaborating with the Brooklyn Renaissance Group to make the Neptune’s Place Collection part of NYC’s largest public art monument, The Great Wall of Brooklyn, guaranteeing its accessibility to the public.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH, 2017
EARLY ACCESS TICKETED EVENTS
Art All Night
· Prizes include; original artwork, commissioned work(s), limited edition printed works, GWB brand merchandise, and Bishop Gallery brand Merchandise
· First Look at “Neptune’s Place” exhibition
10:30p.m – 2a.m Art Soiree (Ticketed Event; cash bar) Live performances by Brooklyn Wildlife & Jahi Chambers, Body and Face Painting by various Artist
· Featuring “Neptune’s Place” exhibition
· Meet & Greet w/ Al Diaz aka SAMO© 11p.m – 12p.m
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9TH, 2017
General Public Viewing
Art All Day
· 10am – 8pm – General Public Viewing (Free and open to the public)
· 10am – 6pm Cultural Marketplace presented by KIVA.org
· 4pm – 7pm BScene @ The Great Wall Of Brooklyn presented by BRIC ARTS MEDIA (Free and open to the public, space limited)